Undergraduate Summer Vacation Research Scholarships
This Round has now closed and the details below are for information only. The next Round will be announced in early 2022.
Undergraduate Summer Vacation Research Scholarships 2021
Applications are currently being invited early 2021 from prospective supervisors to commence a scholarship for up to a 10 week period in the summer vacation of 2021.
The Anatomical Society normally offers up to 10 bursaries a year to enthusiastic and qualified undergraduate students to undertake research in the Anatomical Sciences (including Anatomy Education) during a 4 to 10 week period in the summer vacation. It is hoped that this opportunity will encourage students to consider a research career in anatomical science.
Successful applicants will receive a bursary up to a maximum of £3,000each (comprising a stipend (£220pw) and a bench fee of £800 (£80pw)).
Students are required to submit a final summary report within 6 weeks of the end of the project which will be posted on the website. Students are encouraged to prepare and submit a Poster and, attend one of the Anatomical Society Meetings within 12 months of the end of the Scholarship (NB free meeting registration will be offered but not travel or accommodation costs).
For this year, applications from students about to complete their undergraduate courses will be considered if the COVID-19 crisis has prevented them from gaining laboratory research experience either inside their courses i.e. extended research project, or outside i.e. summer vacation employment or scholarships.
- Applicants must be Members of The Society who have been elected to membership by Council for at least a year.
- Applicants must be in good standing with their membership fees.
- Applicants must be researchers in the field of Anatomical Sciences (including research relevant to Anatomy Education) at Universities and Research Institutions within Britain or Ireland.
- Applicants must be working full time in their departments and hold a contract that extends beyond the period of the scholarship. Post-doctoral researchers and new lecturers are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants can only submit one application in a year.
- No more than two awards per round will be made to an individual department or subject area within multidisciplinary departments or schools.
- Applications on behalf of science graduates (i.e. students who have already completed one undergraduate degree course in a bioscience related subject) or on behalf of first or final year undergraduates will not be considered. The student would normally be a year 2 undergraduate student (for a three-year course) or year 2 or 3 undergraduate student (for a four year course) at the time of application. However, for 2021, students about to complete their undergraduate courses will be considered if they have not been able to gain laboratory experience, inside or outside of their courses, because of Covid-19 restrictions. The intention is for the student to carry out the research in the summer vacation after at least 2 years of undergraduate study in the biosciences, medicine or veterinary science. Medical Students: in his/her 1st , 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th years will also be deemed not to be eligible. Medical Students: in his/her 2nd year will be deemed eligible, and also, for 2021, students in their third year who have not been able to gain laboratory experience, inside or outside of their courses, because of the Covid-19 restrictions.
- Applicants who have had a previous student are not eligible unless they have submitted the required Final Summary Report for their student.
- Applicants who have successfully applied for Undergraduate Summer Vacation Research Scholarship Awards the year before cannot apply again the following year (a gap of one year must elapse before the Applicant is eligible to apply again). This does not apply for 2021 as no awards were made in 2020 due to the impact of Covid-19.
- Supervisors and Co-Supervisors of current Anatomical Society 3 year PhD Research Studentships are not allowed to apply for Undergraduate Summer Vacation Research Scholarships Awards.
- Will normally be undergraduates in a biomedical or biological subject, or in medicine, dentistry or veterinary sciences.
- Will be required to apply for Early Career Membership of the Society and pay the fee which is currently £10 per annum [£15 from October 2021] which is not re-imbused before completion of their summer vocational scholarship.
- Will be required to submit and present a poster at an Anatomical Society meeting within 12 months of the end of the Scholarship.
- Will need to register for the conference and pay the registration fee and claim it back after presentation of a Poster at the meeting using an AS Expenses Claim Form (See Item (d) below).
- Early Career Members who are Undergraduate Student Summer Vacation Scholarship Students are eligible to apply for Barclay Smith Funding (the one-year rule does not apply) towards the cost of Registration, Travel and Accommodation up to £400. NB: The Student must have been elected to membership by Council before applying for a Barclay-Smith Award. It is the Student’s responsibility to complete all aspects of applying for membership.
- Will normally be British, Irish or European citizens who are studying for an undergraduate degree in an appropriate subject (see above) at a British or Irish Institute of Higher Education. European citizens include citizens of the European Economic Area, which comprises the member states of the European Union and Iceland Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. A non-EU student who has been granted ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK’ is entitled to be considered for the programme.
- Will take up the award during the 2021 summer vacation.
- In receipt of offers of other means of support to cover the costs of a stipend and bench fee will not normally be considered.
Or by e-mailing email@example.com
Emails and enquiries should be directed to Ms Mary-Anne Piggott (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Midnight Thursday 25th March 2021.