In 2009/10 the Committee of Management, Governance Working Party and Council of the Anatomical Society undertook a comprehensive review of the Society’s governance structure. The principal objectives of this review were:
- To produce an unambiguous, consistent, and modern set of governance documents that incorporate recent changes in charity and company law.
- To make the most effective use of the Society’s Officers’ time and energy.
The major outcomes of the review were:
- New governance documentation: revised Memorandum and Articles of Association and Regulations (previously known as Byelaws).
- New name: a proposal to change the name from ‘Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland’ to ‘Anatomical Society’
- Significant restructuring: in future, the business of the Anatomical Society will be undertaken by a single unitary Council that incorporates the functions and responsibilities of the current Committee of Management and Council. Membership of the new Council includes the President, Secretary and Treasurer and the Chairs of several Standing Committees (Education, Research Advisory, Meetings, Website Management, Membership). Significant operational responsibility was placed in the hands of the Chairs and members of the Standing Committees.
The Committee of Management (27th May 2010) and Council (19th July 2010) approved the proposed governance changes which were subsequently formally adopted at an EGM on 20th July 2010. The new name was registered by the Registrar of Companies. The Society’s new name, revised Memorandum and Articles came into force on the date that the Special Resolution was passed (EGM 20th July 2010) . The Society’s details have been updated on the Charity Commission Register. The new Council meets up to 6 times a year to ensure the effective strategic and operational management of the Society.
Council (15th September 2011) approved the revision of Article 4 and Article 8 formally adopted at the AGM on 20th December 2011 which enables the Society to confer Honorary Fellowship and Fellowship of the Society. Council 18.12.11 approved amendments to Regulation 9 Fellowship and approved a new Regulation 17 Quorum.
On 29th March 2012 Council approved the amendment to Regulation 15a on the Terms of Reference of the Standing Committees.
On the 9th July 2012 Council approved amendments to Schedule 2: Clause 2 Symington Bequest; Clause 7 Journal of Anatomy and Aging Cell Best Paper Prize; Clause 12 Society Graduate Research Studentships and Clause 13 Society Seminars and Symposia.
On the 6th September 2012 Council approved amendments to Schedule 2: Clause 6 The Symington Memorial Prize in Anatomy, Clause 8 Anatomical Society Young Investigator Oral Presentation Prize, Clause 9 Cave Young Investigator Poster Prize and Clause 10 Anatomical Society New Fellow of the Year.
On the 18th December 2012 the AGM approved amendments to Articles 26, 28b and 29f.
On 7th February 2013 Council approved the amendments to Regulation 9i Fellowship.
On 3rd July 2013 Council approved the amendments to Regulation 2 re Early Career Membership, Regulation 6 Early Career Membership and Schedule 2, Clause 11 Anatomical Society Prize.
On 19th September 2013 Council approved the amendments to Schedule 2, Clause 6 The Symington Memorial Prize in Anatomy.
On 6th February 2014 Council approved the amendments to Schedule 4: Duties of the Editors-in-Chief of the Journal of Anatomy and Aging Cell.
Professor T. Clive Lee - President
Professor Emeritus Colin Ockleford - Honorary Secretary
Revised Memorandum and Articles of Association.
Revised Regulations and Schedules.
Guidance for Charity Trustees